PEAR ALMOND & CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
makes 12 regular or 6 jumbo
What you need
- 2 cups muffin flour¹
- ¾ packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (can be swapped for buttermilk, plain yogurt or kefir)²
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil (select your preferred neutral tasting oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1¾ cups fresh, peeled³ and diced pears
- ¼ cup coarsely ground toasted almonds
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips
¹ You can use all purpose or an equal mix of all-purpose and whole wheat. For best results though I recommend using my go-to muffin flour mix recipe which follows below
² I have never tried using nut milks or coconut milk, which is why these ingredients are not listed as potential swaps. I suspect they would work fine but I hesitate to recommend a swap I have not yet experimented with. As for the other types of dairy, I use them interchangeably in all my muffin recipes and found the results to be equally successful.
³ Peeling pears is strictly a matter of preference and choosing either will not alter the final results because the peel of pears is very tender, unlike an apple.
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375°F
- On a cookie sheet, lay out raw almonds in a single layer and set to toast in the oven until golden brown. This will take 10 to 20 minutes depending on the almonds you use, whether they are sliced, slivered or whole. Set a timer for 10 minutes and add time as needed in 5 minute increments. Let cool before grinding (in a food processor or with a mortar and pestle)
- Line with paper cups or grease muffin tins
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredient: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, eggs, oil, vanilla and almond extract
- Peel and dice pears in small pieces and chop chocolate in chip size chunks if using a chocolate bar, set aside
- Add wet mix to dry and stir gently until just moistened. Stir in almonds
- Reserve ¼ of the pear cubes and an equal amount of chocolate to sprinkle on top of the muffins. Add remaining pears and chocolate pieces to the batter and gently fold to incorporate
- Sprinkle muffins with the reserved pears and chocolate. If there is any ground almonds left, sprinkle a bit as well on each muffin
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges and just set in the middle
Muffin Flour Blend
Why use this muffin flour? It yields tender centers and crispy tops.
Make a big batch ahead and have it ready at your finger tips.
5 cups all-purpose flour
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup ground flaxseed
- Mix well together and keep in a well sealed jar, refrigerated is recommended for long-term storage but will do fine at room temperature for up to 4 months
- This flour can be used in most muffin recipes. Why use this muffin flour? It yields tender centers and crispy tops. It is packed with nutrition, fiber, a bit of protein and a bit of good omegas. It can also be used in sweet loaves/breads such as banana & zucchini for instance
- I am not experienced in gluten-free flour mixtures and cannot offer substitutes for a gluten-free mix.