This jewel coloured soup is delicate in flavour and very easy to make.
- 6-8 medium size beets
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- 750ml (approx.) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche (lucky for me, I had put my hands on unpasteurized sour cream and the soup was brought to another dimension!)
- 1 Tbsp butter
Peel and cook the whole beets in a pot of salted boiling water until tender. (Or boil beets first and peel after if you prefer)
- Reserve one beet for garnish.
- Dice up the other beets in large chunks
- In pot, over medium/high heat, add olive oil and then add onion, shallot and garlic. Sweat without colouring
- Add the wine and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add the beets and cook another 1-2 minutes
- Add stock: the stock should cover the beets by about 1-2 inches
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beets are extremely tender.
- Using a blender or an immersion blender, purée the soup until it is smooth. Add sour cream and butter.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to flavour. And of course, you can always add more butter to your taste!
- Garnish: finely dice the remaining beet and sprinkle on top of soup. Add a few dots of sour cream to soup and run a knife through to create little hearts
Leave a Reply