Sometimes I just feel like posting a recipe because it is so darn good! No stories attached and none required except maybe this recipe is a teeny bit better when local tomatoes are in season. Having friends over? It is a prefect and easy appetizer that pairs perfectly well with a chilled rosé.
- 1 sheet of butter puff pastry*
- Heaping ½ cup of soft goat cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- Fresh chopped chives
- Small tomatoes: I used heirloom cherry tomatoes to add colour
- Basil pesto (your own or from the store) or plain olive oil
- Fresh basil for garnish
*Although I know how to make puff pastry, I do not go to the trouble of making my own. I purchase frozen puff pastry sheets made with butter only which yields satisfying results.
- Oven at 400°F.
- Unroll puff pastry onto cookie sheet leaving the dough on the parchment paper it comes with.
- Mix goat cheese with enough sour cream to make it spreadable without liquefying (the consistency of peanut butter).
- Add chives and some pepper if you like.
- Spread evenly across the dough, leaving just a bit of space around the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the colour is similar to the one on the pictures.
- The edges should be golden brown. Remove from oven and set on serving platter.
- Add the tomatoes. Let cool and drizzle with pesto or oil. Add garnish.
- Serve warm or cold
That crunchy crust with fresh basil and tomatoes looks like heaven on a plate. 🙂
Thank you! And it is: so simple yet so scrumptious 🙂
I am in LOVE with how good this looks!!
Well thank you! I can attest that it tastes just as good: it was gobbled in no time by my guests!